Interpreting in police settings – the police perspective
D/Sgt Emma Gilbert
- Duration: 120 minutes
View a recording of this webinar
This webinar qualifies for CEUs read more about CEU webinars
"Thanks Wendy, one of the best presented webinars I've seen, very informative and insightful, really enjoyed! Looking forward to many more. This really is a great way to train especially having recently become a mum with a 1 and 2 year old! Again a huge thank you and appreciation for setting these up." - Mandy, Interpreter
Interpreting in police settings provides multiple challenges for both officers and interpreters alike. It goes without saying that interpreting in this domain requires in depth, specialist training. If you’re considering whether you’re suitable for this domain, this webinar will assist you to begin to identify areas to explore in further depth in your professional development plan. For example:
- What types of bookings/interviews might you be needed for?
- What would you do if you felt you needed to challenge a police officer on their practice?
- How national (UK) and strategic aims of the PLOD initiative and police interpreting may affect you.
Experienced police interpreters will also benefit from a discussion of the technological, national and global developments taking place in this domain.
This webinar will address the following learning outcomes (and more!):
- An understanding of what the PLOD does and how it differs from the role of an interpreter
- An analysis of the limitations of interpreting and translating police procedures including the introduction of Video Relay Services (VRS) and Video Remote Interpreting (VRI)
- Identification of national and global issues that could impact on our services as a whole
Read more about Detective Sergeant Emma Gilbert on her trainer page.
Purchase this webinar
What users said about this webinar
“1st time participating online training & this is EXCELLENT!”
“Informative, inspiring and such a passionate presenter with a real sense of our role and Deaf culture.”
“Emma is obviously passionate about the topic and genuinely understands our role.”
“Having the police perspective is great! And Emma speaks plainly, from experience and passion.”
“Thank you very much! Great presentation.”
“Thanks Emma and Wendy 🙂 Great as always.”
“Excellent – thank you.”
What users are saying about Linguistpd's webinars
“I just wanted to say how impressed I was with the online training. I will definitely be looking out for more courses.”
“I thoroughly enjoyed the webinar. It’s such an easy way to get CPD points from the comfort of your own home. And I certainly learned a lot. I’ll definitely get involved again.”
“Thank you for keeping Linguistpd full of interesting topics.”