A very practical evening - many thanks Byron and Wendy - Kathy, Interpreter
What you'll learn
This webinar will take a brief look at some of the issues that tend to worry interpreters working in the legal domain; what if I make a mistake, what if I don’t understand the deaf person, what if …?
We will discuss some of the language and translation issues that commonly arise in these settings and look at a variety of coping strategies to ensure we are providing a ‘safe’ and effective service for all those concerned.
There will also be a discussion of ethical dilemmas raised by the live audience including the following:
- How do you “offload” so you don’t take problems away with you?
- In a police station would you interpret for the police and the solicitor as that seems to be what is expected but is dangerous because it give you a fund of knowledge?
- The Deaf world is a small one and interpreters do tend to know a lot of people. Is it seen as any kind of conflict of interest if you know the witness(es) or defendants?
Structured CPD Points: 2
The following learning outcomes are addressed in this webinar:
- An understanding of our role in legal settings
- An enhanced appreciation of the implications of our errors
- Strategies to minimise the consequences of our errors
Subtitles are provided
NB There is some time delay between video and audio so we recommend using the subtitles.
- This qualifies for 2 structured points
Purchase this training
What users are saying about this training
"Extremely informative and lots of examples given." - Sally, Interpreter
"A very practical evening - many thanks Byron and Wendy" - Kathy, Interpreter
"Thank You Byron I really enjoyed this" - Brenda, Interpreter
"Very comprehensive overview of the field of legal interpreting with plenty of tips, addressing concerns and coping strategies." - Anon, Interpreter
"It answered all questions that came to mind without me having to ask them. I liked how the information was presented and the content of information shared. It was very well suited to the topic of the webinar and I felt I learned what was necessary." - Anon, Interpreter
What users are saying about LinguistPD training
"I think everything is great, nothing needs improving in my opinion." - Amanda, Interpreter
"I genuinely think you have a lovely format and you do a grand job of hosting it...I think you are on the button really with your choice of topics - big name presenters attract me, people I respect and admire." - Mariella, Interpreter
"Wonderful trainers, very informative & interesting, appreciated the shared experiences and will look forward to receiving further resource material and information" - Sally, Interpreter